The Wake County Libertarian Party will host a discussion on electoral reform starting at 7:30pm on Thursday, August 18 at The Gourmet Factory on Western Boulevard. Moderated by Brad Hessel, Libertarian candidate for NC Senate-15, this will be the second in series of meetups that address key issues leading up to the election in November.
“Libertarians have different answers than those that have been heard anywhere else in America’s political experience,” said Brian Lewis, WakeLP Chair (and himself a candidate for NC House District 11). “This is where you can come to hear them.”
“Electoral reform is a critical need in North Carolina,” added Hessel. “Gerrymandering has been practiced here for decades but politicians have now gotten so good at it that very few districts are competitive and consequently there is little genuine discussion of issues associated with elections. It’s great for incumbents but unhealthy for democracy.”
The full schedule of events includes:
- Thu 4 Aug—Environmental Policy hosted by Brian Lewis (replay on YouTube)
- Thu 18 Aug—Electoral Reform hosted by Brad Hessel (webcast on YouTube)
- Thu 15 Sep—Education hosted by Olen Watson (one week later than originally scheduled due to a campaign event conflict)
- Thu 29 Sep—Transportation hosted by Brian Lewis
- Thu 27 Oct—Booze & Pot hosted by Brad Hessel & Olen Watson
All the meetups are scheduled to be held starting at 7:30pm EDT at the unofficial HQ of the WakeLP, The Gourmet Factory on Western Boulevard and will be webcast live. For more details, check out the WakeLP Facebook events page or the Triangle Libertarian Meetup page.